[Cerowrt-devel] dynamic dns and ipv6 and "preferred lifetime"

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 12:07:54 EDT 2018

I have a machine whose ipv6 address I'd like to register in dns. I used to use
the ddns tool in openwrt to do this, but I don't think it quite does
what I want.

the ip tool now has json capability, yea, but basically  I have
rotating addresses that expire.

Stuff like this:

    inet6 2603:3324:1536:86f0:556d:9147:97a1:290a/64 scope global
temporary deprecated dynamic
       valid_lft 157874sec preferred_lft 0sec

And other stuff that also expires but is mildly painful. I can do this
to show the
current primaries

ip -c -6 addr show primary | grep -A 1 2603

and the same, so I can delete secondaries

So I can see having a nsupdate (or linode api) script that parses this
all properly
and sends it "up there", or roll my own, but I was hoping for a
recommendation, that
does it as addresses change...

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com