[Cerowrt-devel] dynamic dns and ipv6 and "preferred lifetime"

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Oct 8 13:57:16 EDT 2018

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
    > I have a machine whose ipv6 address I'd like to register in dns. I used
    > to use the ddns tool in openwrt to do this, but I don't think it quite
    > does what I want.

    > the ip tool now has json capability, yea, but basically I have rotating
    > addresses that expire.

You don't want to register temporary addresses, you want to turn them off.
Publishing your super-private address in DNS makes it not private, so don't
do that.   You want stable private addresses.

You either do this in NetworkManager, or net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr = 0

https://major.io/2016/04/17/enable-ipv6-privacy-networkmanager/