[Cerowrt-devel] meanwhile... .home, finally has a home.arpa.

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Oct 24 04:22:54 EDT 2018

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, Dave Taht wrote:

> I just ping6 my upstream dns server, roughly the same algorithm. But
> if it goes down, you don't want to take away the local ipv6 addresses,
> just the default route, and when you do that, you end up falling back to
> ipv4.

I want to lower the preferred lifetime for the PD PIO from that connection
to 0 when upstream lifecheck fails (ie, send RA with 0 preferred
lifetime). So correct, don't take away the addresses, just make sure
they're not chosen anymore for outgoing connections.

> You probably live in a place with reliable power. I get a power flicker
> at least once a week. the corest routers are on battery backup but that
> only lasts a few hours and the last big outage was about 9 hours about 6
> weeks ago. When everything reboots, chaos reigns. When only some things
> reboot, different kinds of chaos reign.

Right. The frequent re-addressing of interfaces (every time it goes up and
down actually) is one thing I pointed out years ago is a weak spot in the
homenet implementation.

> Secondly a usable set of /56s would be "enough" in my case (about 40
> boxes), /60 doesn't divide into that.

Agreed, /56 is what's needed.

> thirdly, I don't want to assign routable ipv6 prefixes to everything,
> just to end-user APs and when I last tried hnpd it wanted to give even
> my p2p boxes /64s

Yes, it allocates /64 per interface. You can share interface with multiple
things by creating bridge interfaces.

> fourthly, we have dnsmasq, odhcpd, odhcpc, babel and hnetd all battling
> it out with slightly different notions of how to redistribute things.

Right, a device that speaks homenet should not request PD.

> I've come to rather appreciate NAT for what it does to separate my
> policies from my ISP's.

Configuring static ULA addresses might be a way to handle it. Doesn't help
reaching them from the outside though. We need DNS or other mechanism to
keep track of addresses as they change over time.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se