[Cerowrt-devel] meanwhile... .home, finally has a home.arpa.

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Wed Oct 24 12:39:54 EDT 2018

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> writes:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>> I just ping6 my upstream dns server, roughly the same algorithm. But
>> if it goes down, you don't want to take away the local ipv6 addresses,
>> just the default route, and when you do that, you end up falling back to
>> ipv4.
>
> I want to lower the preferred lifetime for the PD PIO from that
> connection to 0 when upstream lifecheck fails (ie, send RA with 0
> preferred lifetime). So correct, don't take away the addresses, just
> make sure they're not chosen anymore for outgoing connections.
>
>> You probably live in a place with reliable power. I get a power
>> flicker at least once a week. the corest routers are on battery
>> backup but that only lasts a few hours and the last big outage was
>> about 9 hours about 6 weeks ago. When everything reboots, chaos
>> reigns. When only some things reboot, different kinds of chaos
>> reign.
>
> Right. The frequent re-addressing of interfaces (every time it goes up
> and down actually) is one thing I pointed out years ago is a weak spot
> in the homenet implementation.

SLAAC remains my preference. :)

>> Secondly a usable set of /56s would be "enough" in my case (about 40
>> boxes), /60 doesn't divide into that.
>
> Agreed, /56 is what's needed.
>
>> thirdly, I don't want to assign routable ipv6 prefixes to
>> everything, just to end-user APs and when I last tried hnpd it
>> wanted to give even my p2p boxes /64s
>
> Yes, it allocates /64 per interface. You can share interface with
> multiple things by creating bridge interfaces.

Well, openwrt has the ability to use a tag like "local" or "ula".
I do not know if hnetd will pick that up or not.

Can't bridge a network this wide over this many wifi links.

>> fourthly, we have dnsmasq, odhcpd, odhcpc, babel and hnetd all
>> battling it out with slightly different notions of how to
>> redistribute things.
>
> Right, a device that speaks homenet should not request PD.

But I need that to get from my ISP.

>> I've come to rather appreciate NAT for what it does to separate my
>> policies from my ISP's.
>
> Configuring static ULA addresses might be a way to handle it. Doesn't
> help reaching them from the outside though. We need DNS or other
> mechanism to keep track of addresses as they change over time.

Wish. And long ago we tried to publish a draft that tied dns names
simply to slaac addresses.