[Cerowrt-devel] cheap BGP capable routers?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 02:25:54 EST 2019

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 10:55 PM Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2019, Dave Taht wrote:
>
> > I'm casting about for some old, cheap, cisco/juniper/etc *actual
> > hardware* routers, with bgp capability, for some interop testing in
> > light of my upcoming talk at netdevconf. They need not be fast, need
> > not have more than 2 ports, it would help for the software to be
> > maintained and current.
> >
> > I hit ebay and an asr-1000 still goes for 6k. Anything "out there"
> > that is significantly cheaper than that?
>
> Buy a Cisco 7206 VXR with NPE-G1. They cost around 100-200USD for a
> complete unit. They even do fair-queue and run much of the original code
> from the 90ties (I doubt it's been touched much).

wow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-7206VXR-Router-W-NPE-G1-Dual-AC-3-x-Gigabit-GbE-Ports-7206-VXR/303045454855?epid=1503935635&hash=item468eeaac07:g:xDsAAOSw~OdVcLaO

An edgerouter X does all the same thing for $40, but I could use
another spaceheater.

:)

thx!

As best as I can tell there are three main variants of cisco IOS - A
qnx version (is that this box?), and two different linux based ones,
IOS-XE which doesn't work with 240.0.0.0/4, and IOS-XR, which does.

#show version
Sun Feb 17 21:08:19.783 UTC Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 6.5.2.28I
show ip int br
Interface IP-Address Status Protocol Vrf-Name
 ... elided...
GigabitEthernet0/0/0/7 241.0.0.1 Up Up default
GigabitEthernet0/0/0/9 255.255.255.254 Up Up default

XR at least, in a vm. Can I trust the vm to be correct? Or should I go
looking for actual hw?
What sort of penetration do each of these types have?

> If you need full Internet BGP tables then it needs to have 1GB of RAM.

Nope, just need to see what errors get thrown off with a half dozen
obscure routes.

> I have close to 20 year experience with these kinds of boxes, so I can
> help you before you buy.

thx again! are you (or anyone here?) coming to netdevconf?

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740