[Cerowrt-devel] cheap BGP capable routers?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 21 02:37:59 EST 2019

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019, Dave Taht wrote:

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-7206VXR-Router-W-NPE-G1-Dual-AC-3-x-Gigabit-GbE-Ports-7206-VXR/303045454855?epid=1503935635&hash=item468eeaac07:g:xDsAAOSw~OdVcLaO
>
> An edgerouter X does all the same thing for $40, but I could use
> another spaceheater.

For you it might do everything, but I can assure you it's not even close
in functionality. That puppy is the best ever "swiss army knife" Cisco
ever made. Completely CPU based forwarding and took ALL THE INTERFACES
imaginable. It can take ISDN E1/T1 interfaces and act as TDM/SIP gateways
etc. It does it all.

> As best as I can tell there are three main variants of cisco IOS - A
> qnx version (is that this box?), and two different linux based ones,
> IOS-XE which doesn't work with 240.0.0.0/4, and IOS-XR, which does.

Tnis box runs "classic IOS". So if you want to lab 240.0.0.0/3 7206 isn't
a good box.

I talked to people about juniper, and the response I got was SRX320 and
turn off the firewall and run it in router mode. It can evidently run
recent JunOS.

> XR at least, in a vm. Can I trust the vm to be correct? Or should I go
> looking for actual hw? What sort of penetration do each of these types
> have?

IOS XR is typically run on the largest carrier-grade boxes for
core/distribution role. IOS XE is run on the newer mid-range boxes (it's
evolved from classic IOS) and all the smallish boxes run IOS.

Yes, you can trust the vm for 240.0.0.0/3 testing. Same with vMX
(Juniper). We have Nokia/ALU SROS as VM as well, also Huawei. That covers
most of the core routing space.

> Nope, just need to see what errors get thrown off with a half dozen
> obscure routes.

Right, then you should be fine with any VM.

> thx again! are you (or anyone here?) coming to netdevconf?

I am not.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se