[Cerowrt-devel] fq_codel is SEVEN years old today...

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Tue May 14 18:05:32 EDT 2019

I wonder if an interesting project to design and pitch for CrowdSupply to fund would be a little board that packages sch_cake or something in the minimal hardware package that could sit between a 1 GigE symmetric port and either an asymmetric GigE or a symmetric 1 GigE connection into a 10 GigE switch.
The key point is that it needs to support wire-rate forwarding with small packets of Gigabit throughput. Ideally, it also supports a dnsmasq NAT and wireguard optionally.

I know a Celeron with 2 GB of RAM can easily do it (because that is what I use). We know (well that's what you guys tell me) that the dinky MIPS processors are underpowered to handle sch_cake at such packet rates. The Linksys and Netgear and TP-link guys seem to see no market at all for any such thing. But I see it as a useful jellybean device if it could be cheap and simple.

Could maybe design, produce, and sell this for $100? No one else seems to want to make such a thing. I could just barely design and implement the board and get it made, but to be honest I'm better at spec'ing and prototyping than making manufacturable hardware designs. I suspect I could find someone to do the PCB design, layout and parts selection as a project.

The idea for this hardware "product" is to decouple this buffer management from the WiFi compatibility and driver mess, and make it easy for people, maybe to demonstrate that it could be a great product. Forget designing the packaging, negotiating a sales channel, etc. Just do what is needed to make a few thousand for the CrowdSupply market.

Thoughts?