[Cerowrt-devel] fq_codel is SEVEN years old today...

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Tue May 14 14:38:51 EDT 2019

Well, of all the devices in my house (maybe 100), only the router attached to the cable modem (which is a 2x GigE Intel Linux board based on Fedora 29 server with sch_cake configured) is running fq_codel. And setting that up was a labor of love. But it works a charm for my asymmetric Gigabit cable service.

My home's backbone is 10 GigE fiber, so I suppose fq_codel would be helpful for devices that run on 1 GigE subnets like my 2 802.11ac access points when talking to my NAS's.
However, the 802.11ac access point high speed functionality doesn't seem to be supportable by LEDE. So what can I do?

I suppose I could stick some little custom Intel Linux 2x GigE devices between access points and the 10 GigE backbone, and put fq_codel in there.

My point is, to get the primary benefit of bufferbloat reduction, one has to stick little Linux boxes everywhere, because fq_codel is not supported except via DIY hacking.

And indeed, 10 GigE->1 GigE buffering does affect storage access latency in bad ways.

We see the same problem in datacenter networks that have excessive buffering - a famous switch company backed by Andy Bechtolsheim is really problematic because they claim building up huge buffers is a "feature" not a bug.