[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] Ubiquiti Launches a Speed Test Network

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Sat Sep 7 09:09:55 EDT 2019

> On Sep 7, 2019, at 2:02 PM, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Pete,
>
> If the PayPal ad of an irtt packet would contain the requested DSCP as ascci string (maybe starting with a string like "DSCP: 46: 101110 (EF)" in the first few bytes of the payload would make confirming bleaching/remapping from packetdumps relatively convenient, say just by looking at a packet in Wireshark and comparing the IP headers DSCP value with the string in the payload. Sure that is not automated, but would be great in at least allowing to test for bleaching in the packets received from a irtt server....
>
> But, as much as I would like that feature, I believe the total audience will be quite small....
>
> Best Regards
> Sebastian

You probably noticed, but it’s possible to fill the whole payload with the dscp byte, although the server has to allow that to put it in replies (requests can always contain it), for example:

irtt server --allow-fills=“*"

irtt client --dscp=0x10 -l 256 --fill=pattern:10 --sfill=pattern:10 localhost

If you still want the payload to be mostly random, I could potentially add a new fill mode which fills first with some arbitrary bytes (or a string) then the rest is random. I think in the case of flent, the irtt runner fills with random, but this only applies when there’s actually a payload (i.e. for the voip tests).