[Cerowrt-devel] OT: Netflix vs 6in4 from HE.net

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 16:27:13 EDT 2020

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 1:20 PM Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:

> to Bloat & CeroWrt folks: This is a little OT for either of these lists, but I figured there are plenty of experts here, and I would be delighted to get your thoughts.
>
> I just tried to view a Netflix movie and got a F7111-5059 error message. This prevented the video from playing. (As recently as a month or two ago, it worked fine.)
>
> Googling the error message gets to this page https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54085 that singles out use of an IPv6 Proxy Tunnel.
>
> Sure enough, I'm have a 6in4 tunnel through Hurricane Electric on WAN6. Stopping that WAN6 interface caused Netflix to work.
>
> What advice could you offer? (I could, of course, turn off WAN6 to watch movies. But that's a drag, and other family members couldn't do this.) Many thanks.

This happened to me over a year back.

http://www.peachyphotos.com/blog/posts/netflix-and-hurricane-electrics-ipv6-service/

Briefly I swtched to just blackholing netflix's ipv6 range, then I
tunnled my linode connection, then I switched to just universally
using comcast native ipv6 (with source specific routing and static
assignments on the key routers).

I was VERY reluctant to do this as comcast reserves the right to
change your ipv6 addressing at any point, and it changes if you change
routers, but having to manually reconfigure  a dozen routers and
several servers if it ever changes seemed easiest. I dread
renumbering...

The vast majority of my traffic in the evenings is ipv6 now.