[Cerowrt-devel] OT: Netflix vs 6in4 from HE.net

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sat Mar 21 18:06:14 EDT 2020

Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:
    > to Bloat & CeroWrt folks: This is a little OT for either of these
    > lists, but I figured there are plenty of experts here, and I would be
    > delighted to get your thoughts.

    > I just tried to view a Netflix movie and got a F7111-5059 error
    > message. This prevented the video from playing. (As recently as a month
    > or two ago, it worked fine.)

    > Googling the error message gets to this page
    > https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54085 that singles out use of an IPv6
    > Proxy Tunnel.

I suspect it's part of a geo-fencing system.

    > Sure enough, I'm have a 6in4 tunnel through Hurricane Electric on
    > WAN6. Stopping that WAN6 interface caused Netflix to work.

    > What advice could you offer? (I could, of course, turn off WAN6 to
    > watch movies. But that's a drag, and other family members couldn't do
    > this.) Many thanks.

If your only IPv6 is via the tunnel, then I'd blacklist the netflix device
from getting IPv6.  (Maybe that fails because it's your general purpose laptop)

Maybe you would be able to determine what IPv6 destinations are netflix, and
blacklist that, but given that it usually uses a stack of EC2, etc. servers,
that might be too big a gun.