[Cerowrt-devel] AQL in openwrt head, but not 19 stable

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Sun Mar 29 17:30:51 EDT 2020

Pragmatically, I solve this by a mixed, manual strategy. My entry router at home isn't OpenWRT based, it only connects a WAN GigE port to a home LAN GigE port. I use multiple APs, and for now solve the "make wifi fast" problem by using one 5 GHz channel per AP, and enough APs so I can have only one laptop or phone per AP/channel.
And the bulk of my heavy dutu use is wired to a 10 GigE backbone in the house. That way, most of my file transfers only interfere with the same endpoints interactions.

I'd really like to not have to do this, but to be honest, maintaining OpenWRT, and dealing with the super-proprietary garbage in WiFi chipsets is just a waste of my time, which is spent on other efforts - I can buy my way out by treating APs as disposable, suboptimal crap.

I'd really like to see someone fund you guys and to actually learn what you know.

The atheros, broadcom, and other chip providers are the obvious source of support, but for some reason they don't want to compete on getting rid of bloat in the airwaves.

Maybe some Chinese company is motivated to beat Qualcomm and Broadcom by going open in their packet handling driver code and letting you guys make it work?

ESP32 devices show that you don't have to be Broadcom or Qualcomm/Atheros to do WiFi chips. They aren't that open, but they don't seem to be focused on locking out innovators from the parket. Maybe Huawei is motivated, since Qualcomm is the big company behind Trump's trade war against them.