[Cerowrt-devel] Feb 12th: FCC virtual roundtable to gather public input on how to structure the new Emergency Broadband Benefit Program

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 21:14:36 EST 2021

I have already asked for a chance to question or speak, but if others
here would like a shot at getting into the roundtable, send an email
to the contact asking whether you can either ask a question or speak.
That's christian.hoefly at fcc.gov

Hey dpreed, got a few minutes?

 Federal Communications Commission DA 21-XX

DA 21-91
Released:  January 28, 2021

WIRELINE COMPETITION BUREAU ANNOUNCES ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION ON
EMERGENCY BROADBAND BENEFIT PROGRAM
Roundtable Will Help Shape Approach to Administering the Program
WC Docket No. 20-445
By this Public Notice, the Wireline Competition Bureau (Bureau)
announces an Emergency Broadband Benefit Program Roundtable Discussion
to take place on February 12, 2021, at 10:00 AM EST.  Congress in the
Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act,
2021, Pub. L. No. 116-260 (2020), available at
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/133/text
(Consolidated Appropriations Act).
 established an Emergency Broadband Connectivity Fund of $3.2 billion
and directed the Federal Communications Commission to use that fund to
establish an Emergency Broadband Benefit Program, through which
eligible households may receive a discount off the cost of broadband
service and certain connected devices during an emergency period
relating to the COVID-19 pandemic, and participating providers can be
reimbursed for such discounts.
The Commission will host the discussion to provide an opportunity for
Commission staff and interested parties to examine proposed actions
the Commission should take to establish the program.  The Commission
is currently receiving comments regarding the program, See Wireline
Competition Bureau Seeks Comment on Emergency Broadband Connectivity
Fund Assistance, Public Notice, DA 21-14 (WCB 2021) (establishing
deadlines for comments of January 25, 2021 and reply comments of
February 16, 2021).
 and this roundtable will provide an additional opportunity to
determine the best approach to leverage the funding to help close the
digital divide.  Specifically, the roundtable discussion will focus on
the important public policy and program administration decisions that
will shape the Commission’s approach to administering the funding.
In a subsequent public notice, the Bureau will announce further
information about the event, including panel discussion topics and
participants.  The Commission anticipates the roundtable discussion
will last no longer than half a day.  In response to the COVID-19
pandemic, the FCC Headquarters is closed. See FCC Announces Closure of
FCC Headquarters Open Window and Change in Hand-Delivery Filing,
Public Notice, 35 FCC Rcd 2788 (OMD 2020).
  Accordingly, the roundtable discussion will be a virtual event
available at www.fcc.gov/live.
Open captioning will be provided for this event.  Other reasonable
accommodations for people with disabilities are available upon
request.  The request should include a detailed description of the
accommodation needed and contact information.  We ask that requests
for accommodations be made as soon as possible in order to allow the
agency to satisfy such requests whenever possible.  Send an email to
fcc504 at fcc.gov or call the Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau at
(202)418-0530 (voice), (202)418-0432 (TTY).
For further information, please contact Christian Hoefly at
christian.hoefly at fcc.gov.

Vint Cerf

1:50 PM (4 hours ago)

to me