[Cerowrt-devel] a smart SFP

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Jan 14 09:29:14 EST 2022

Hi Jonas,

> On Jan 14, 2022, at 14:50, Jonas Mårtensson <martensson.jonas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Not all ISPs work with a single level of splitters, some do 1:4 and split each of the four up into more later, I would guess that 1:4 + 1:8 will have a bigger aggregate attenuation than going 1:32 directly, but I am guessing here, so thanks for the numbers.
>
> It will be slightly higher, mainly due to the extra splices I think, but other than that there is no fundamental difference between doing 1:32 and doing 1:4 + 1:8. The fundamental loss is 3 dB per 1:2 split.
>
> > In Germany the law is as it is and requires a passive handover point of an ISPs network to the home network and also the freedom to choose routers (and probably also ONTs/ONUs but that is still in flux), so plugs will be common as will be exchange of ONTs/ONUs by end-users.
>
> That's interesting. I would think that exchanging ONUs is quite tricky (as also indicated by the "hacking" threads discussed earlier) since OLTs and ONUs from different suppliers may not even be compatible.

	Well the big incumbent has a process under test which might require one phone call to transmit one important number after which a compatible ONT (there is a compatibility list I think) can and will be provisioned, so this is possible. And given that GPON is an ITU standard I would assume that unless vendoe-specific extra features are used ONTs should be compatible.

> Can't the "passive handover point" be between the ONU and the home router?

	That is under discussion. The BEREC describes three hand-over points, one passive before the ONT, one at the ethernet port of an ONT (or maybe the cage-end of an SFP-module) and/or behind an ISP supplied router (see https://berec.europa.eu/eng/document_register/subject_matter/berec/regulatory_best_practices/guidelines/9033-berec-guidelines-on-common-approaches-to-the-identification-of-the-network-termination-point-in-different-network-topologies). The German law however is clear, the termination point needs to be passive (unless there is an explicit exemption granted by the national regulatory authority NRA) OR the ISP declares an device as part of its active network, but then the ISP needs to cover the electricity cost of that device. The NRA BNetzA has communicated that it expects ONT to be treated the same as routers (for which the law grants freedom of choice by end-users) and that it is unlikely/unwilling to grant exceptions unless there are excellent reasons to do so (so far ISPs did not bring forward convincing arguments for not offering a passive termination point, as far as the BNetzA is concerned).

> In Sweden (where FTTH is very common but PON is almost non-existing), the ISP normally installs both an Ethernet "switch" terminating the fiber (typically using an SFP) and a home router connected to the switch using copper Ethernet cable. While it is common to exchange the home router (or selecting to not install the ISP's router from the beginning), I don't think anyone exchanges the switch with the fiber termination and doing so would probably not work anyway since the switch needs to be "managed" by the ISP.

	German law allows for that, as long as the ISP covers the electricity bill of that switch (operating it as part of the ISPs own active network), the termination point then would be the CatN-socket in each flat. The goal in Germany is true FTTH where each dwelling unit/flat has its own fiber connection (and then AON becomes pricy, you need to run all those fibers to COs and then have enough room for the required patching/splicing, with fiber taking more room than coper).

Regards
	Sebastian

P.S.: While AON is the technically better solution (you can always easilyput a splitter in a CO and run X direct fibers as a PON, but try the same when the spillters are out in the field much closer to the end-users than the CO and there are not enough fibers between splitter and CO). Telcos especially incumbents however prefer PON for a number of reasons:
a) price, it simply is cheaper, fewer fibers to pull and terminate and OLTs appear smaller and cheaper that active switches that can supply a similar number of end-nodes.
b) control I: if a telco builds a PON plant every user of that PON will owe the incumbent some money
c) control II: no competitor will be able to offer more advanced technology over a PON than its owner.