[Cerowrt-devel] apophis 2029 meeting may 10-12

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat May 6 17:58:03 EDT 2023

Occasionally I abuse my lists to point at my other passions in life. Not
apologizing. Both Jim Gettys and I have been huge asteroid exploration
advocates for years. The Apophis passby in 2029 is a huge opportunity for
good science, and there is an interesting planning meeting for it may 10-12
here, that I hope to sit in on:

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/apophis2023/technical_program/

Very good paper on many possibilities here:
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/sbag/documents/Apophis_SAT.pdf - developing
capabilities that could apply to many other NEOs, rapidly.

I used to hit reload on Lance Benners work on rendezvous costs to the known
NEO population regularly, although this url has now vanished, this is what
those looked like two years go

https://web.archive.org/web/20200303050925/https://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/~lance/delta_v/delta_v.rendezvous.html

Flyby (or impact!) is even cheaper of course:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210131151035/https://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/~lance/delta_v.flyby.html

I wish I knew more about spacecraft busses, cpus and capabilities today!

I return y'all now to worrying about the internet.

--
Podcast:
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7058793910227111937/