[Cerowrt-users] Some setup questions

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 07:10:11 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Marc MERLIN <marc at merlins.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've used linux on wireless routers for many years, and recently got a
> WNDR3800 on which I just installed Cerowrt.
>
> I used openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin 3.3.8-26
> on top of an openwrt test install.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Before cerowrt, I tried openwrt 12.09-beta2
> Is fq_codel and most of cerowrt in openwrt 12.09-beta2?  If I can't get
> cerowrt, will openwrt 12.09-beta2, be pretty close to cerowrt for latency
> patches?

My hope is to sync up with the openwrt final from a binary perspective.

There are about 12 of cerowrt's more experimental patches missing from
openwrt beta - notably one that speeds up ivp6 a  lot. there are also
some experimental variants of fq_codel in there. There's a change to
wireless diffserv behavior. There's a patch reducing buffering on the
ath9k (but I think that's in openwrt too)

the debloat package runs all interfaces, turning off various offloads,
and enabling fq_codel on all interfaces.

It is kind of my hope more folk try running the debloat package on
openwrt AA final, rather than trying to run cerowrt as their main
router.

> 2) I'm going to need usb to serial (pl2303) support. I already read that cerowrt
> doesn't have most packages from openwrt, but since they should be mostly compatible
> can't I just point cerowrt to

cerowrt has these usb-serial packages built. They are used by gpsd among others.

You can see the package list in the relevant release's package directory.

> http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-beta2/ar71xx/generic/packages/Packages
> and use those packages instead, including
> http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-beta2/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-usb-serial-pl2303_3.3.8-1_ar71xx.ipk ?
>
> 3) in the network/switch page, I noticed that it shows port4 even though I
> don't have one, and CPU seems to be the uplink port, but it shows 1000bT
> full-duplex whether I have my uplink cable plugged in, or not.
> Is that normal?

Dunno.