[Cerowrt-users] RNDIS USB as WAN

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 19:17:01 EDT 2012

Hi,

I would like to use a device that speaks the RNDIS protocol as the WAN
device and have it routed at layer 3. This requires the following:

1. USB 2.0 Host (EHCI) hardware and kernel infrastructure (e.g. the
Netgear WNDR3800 N600 Premium Edition Dual Band Gigabit Wireless
Router has sufficient hardware I believe)
2. Linux kernel modules: usbnet, cdc_ether, and rndis_host
3. Awareness of the network interface "usb0" by software that performs routing

My desired configuration is thus:

RNDIS WAN device creates IPv4 NAT, runs DNS and DHCP
CeroWRT device (WNDR3800) gets the RNDIS device connected to its USB
2.0 Host port
Kernel modules listed above activate usb0 interface
CeroWRT automatically obtains an upstream IP address on the WAN
device's NAT, using DHCP, and forwards all DNS queries up to the WAN
device
CeroWRT runs its own IPv4 NAT with the upstream WAN device as the
gateway and a different subnet in 192.168.x.x space (subnet
255.255.255.0)

Is this possible without a rebuild of CeroWRT on the hardware I stated above?

Thanks,

Sean