[Codel] [Cerowrt-devel] hardware hacking on fq_codel in FPGA form at 10GigE

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 09:18:23 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM,  <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:
> I have lately been using (for my very wideband software defined radio
> amateur radio transceiver project) the brand new, very nice device called
> the Zynq 7000 series of Platform FPGA's from Xilinx.  It's a complete system
> on a chip, with a dual core ARM Cortex A9 and an enormous amount of
> programmable logic that has "cache coherent access" to the memory system.
>

> The chip is fabricated in 28 nm form, has a "zillion" SelectIO programmable
> pins, but more importantly has a bunch of hard logic I/O paths.
>

> Since it comes packaged "cheap" (full  6 inch square evalboard with 512 MB
> DRAM and full standard "PC type" interconnects - GigE, VGA, HDMI, USB), as a
> $299 board with free FPGA tool chain) and runs Linux out of the box, I
> highly recommend the board called Zedboard (just google that).

Their documentation is first rate!

http://www.zedboard.org/sites/default/files/documentations/ZedBoard_HW_UG_v1_6.pdf

> Easy to attach 10 GigE hardware if you can do simple PCB design and
> soldering.

The 10GigE thought was mostly because that's what's driving most of
the decision making behind doing these huge network offloads on the
host processor. Which is so problematic when it migrates out of the
data center/talks to stuff outside of the datacenter

and/or the software concepts end up in devices that need to run well
at 100Mbit and below.

So thoroughly solving the fq/codel problem in hardware at that level
will head off the next worldwide problem when these devices become
more affordable. And (IMHO) make them work better.

> You can be up and running with a development system for under $500 in a
> weekend, building FPGA acceleration, or if you want to add hardware that
> connects to the zillions of I/O pins to the PLL and memory system, that
> might take a week or more, depending on your hardware design and hacking
> skills. I've connected "eval boards" of various sorts using a breakout board
> you can buy from Xilinx quicker than that.
>

> In some ways, this is the Raspberry Pi of high speed digital logic hacking.

You should give them that quote.

And I'll order one. Heck, maybe two. Real find! Thanks!

How far along is your SDR project?