[Codel] [Bloat] The challenge

Simon Barber simon at superduper.net
Wed May 9 01:16:48 EDT 2012

One question now remains - will codel AQM be sufficient on it's own in
getting delays down to levels that users are happy with for the common
latency sensitive interactive traffic - VoIP, gaming and Skype for
example - or are the further reductions that can be had with traffic
classification and smart queuing algorithms necessary? The nicest part
about codel on it's own is that it works on opaque packets - it will
handle VPNs and traffic within them nicely. It gets away from all the
complexity required to classify traffic in a world where traffic is
often trying to hide.

Simon