[Codel] The challenge

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue May 8 23:56:04 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Kathleen Nichols <nichols at pollere.com>wrote:

> On 5/8/12 6:04 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> > Both the acm queue article and jim's blog entry this morning were way
> > above mensa's standards.
>
> But, omg, we are not saying this will solve everything.

Neither am I! Figuring out what it can solve and what it can't is on the
table.

That's going to take quite some time, I think. Title of email was

"The challenge". Next up is extensive real world tests and tweaking, more
simulation, varied workloads.

> And it's not
> supposed
> to be a scholarly paper,

thank ghu

> but a proposed solution to a real problem. Guess
> Dave and Eric will let us know how real it is.

And andrew is looking at the wobble right now in the ns3 sim. He has some
pretty graphs... I love to know if his model matches yours...

I've held off on doing much, I have an unrelated bug that's killing me in
reality and
I figure eric has another version soon

> We are still tweaking to make sure the streamlined code does what the
> old simulator code does. Should be a small update shortly.

Excellent.

> > Nobody has attempted to explain the elegant simplicity of the
> > algorithm itself in the inverse sqrt however!  I have a good grip on
> > it, and am trying, but can barely explain it to myself. Anyone else
> > care to dig through the codel code and try to put it into english?
>
> The reason I referenced our ancient unpublished work on this in additon to
> Matt Mathis's paper is that Van had some nice pictures and explanations in
> there.

Ah. Lost in the footnotes. You mean redlight?

The link on the acm queue to:

http://www.cnaf.infn.it/~ferrari/papers/ispn/red_light_9_30.pdf is busted.

We have a link to a mirror of that here:

http://mirrors.bufferbloat.net/RelevantPapers/Red_in_a_different_light.pdf

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://www.bufferbloat.net