[Codel] New to codel-- how to run codel on a linux box?

Dong Mo montedong at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 00:04:00 EST 2013

Dear List,

I am new to codel and I would like to run some experiments with codel on a
linux box acting as a router. I see on the wiki that running codel on linux
requires BQL support from NIC driver. I would like to know is this an
essential requirement to run codel on linux box or it is optional?

I don't require line rate performance, something like 100Mbps throughput
will be enough for the experiment. However, It is also not clear to me that
how Codel is going to interact with some software traffic shaping say
bandwidth limiting?

Or more in general, what is the recommended way to run and test out codel
easily?

Thank you
-Mo Dong