[Codel] New to codel-- how to run codel on a linux box?

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 05:23:20 EST 2013

On 23 Nov, 2013, at 7:04 am, Dong Mo wrote:

> I am new to codel and I would like to run some experiments with codel on a linux box acting as a router. I see on the wiki that running codel on linux requires BQL support from NIC driver. I would like to know is this an essential requirement to run codel on linux box or it is optional?

It's not a hard requirement - but large hardware queues (which BQL tries to solve) tend to interfere with line-rate operation.

> I don't require line rate performance, something like 100Mbps throughput will be enough for the experiment. However, It is also not clear to me that how Codel is going to interact with some software traffic shaping say bandwidth limiting?

tc qdisc add dev $IFACE root handle 1: htb default 1
tc class add dev $IFACE parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate $RATE burst 15k
tc qdisc add dev $IFACE parent 1:1 handle 10: fq_codel

That works perfectly well if $RATE is less than line rate, even without BQL.

 - Jonathan Morton