[Ecn-sane] [tsvwg] Comments on L4S drafts

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 08:24:18 EDT 2019

> On 4 Jul, 2019, at 2:54 pm, Bob Briscoe <ietf at bobbriscoe.net> wrote:
>
> The phrase "relative to a FIFO" is important. In a FIFO, it is of course possible for flows to take more throughput than others. We see that as a feature of the Internet not a bug. But we accept that some might disagree...

Chalk me up as among those who consider "no worse than a FIFO" to not be very reassuring.  As is well documented and even admitted in L4S drafts, L4S flows tend to squash "classic" flows in a FIFO.

So the difficulty here is twofold:

1: DualQ or FQ is needed to make L4S coexist with existing traffic, and

2: DualQ can be defeated by an adversary, destroying its ability to isolate L4S traffic.

I'll read your reply to Jake when it arrives.

 - Jonathan Morton