[Ecn-sane] [tsvwg] Comments on L4S drafts

De Schepper, Koen (Nokia - BE/Antwerp) koen.de_schepper at nokia-bell-labs.com
Thu Jul 4 09:43:08 EDT 2019

Jonathan,

>> 2: DualQ can be defeated by an adversary, destroying its ability to isolate L4S traffic.

Not correct. DualQ works not different than any (single q) FIFO, which can be defeated by non-responsive traffic.
It even does not matter what type of traffic the adversary is (L4S or Classic drop/mark), as the adversary will push away the responsive traffic only by the congestion signal it invokes in the AQM (drop or classic or L4S marking). The switch to drop for all traffic from 25% onwards avoids that ECN flows get a benefit under overload caused by non-responsive flows. This mechanism protects also Classic ECN single Q AQMs, as defined in the ECN RFCs.

So conclusion:   a DualQ works exactly the same as any other single Q AQM supporting ECN !!
Try it, and you'll see...

Koen.