[Ecn-sane] is FQ actually widely deployed?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Jul 23 01:57:14 EDT 2019

Hi Mikael,

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 07:32, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>
>> Anything derived from OpenWrt will also use FQ-CoDel on both WiFi and wired links. Not sure how common those are, though...
>
> I have OpenWrt derived devices that use hw acceleration

	This is my min gripe with accelerators and off-load features, typically they side-step the linux kernel network stack and offer far less features than that stack (this is how they speed up things). IMHO these are crutches and at least up to 1Gbps links reasonable priced x86/x64 hardware can do routing with all bells and whistles (heck mvebu plattforms also come close).

> and they are not using FQ_CODEL. So OpenWrt in itself doesn't mean FQ_CODEL is used.

	By default OpenWrt does not use hardware offloads (and IIRC it only supports hardware acceleration on mediatek SoCs) but defaults to fq_codel, so usage of OpenWrt should still be a strong indicator of fq_codel being used....

Best Regards
	Sebastian