[Ecn-sane] per-flow scheduling

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Jun 21 02:59:14 EDT 2019

> On Jun 19, 2019, at 16:12, Bob Briscoe <ietf at bobbriscoe.net> wrote:
>
> Jake, all,
>
> You may not be aware of my long history of concern about how per-flow scheduling within endpoints and networks will limit the Internet in future. I find per-flow scheduling a violation of the e2e principle in such a profound way - the dynamic choice of the spacing between packets - that most people don't even associate it with the e2e principle.

Maybe because it is not a violation of the e2e principle at all? My point is that with shared resources between the endpoints, the endpoints simply should have no expectancy that their choice of spacing between packets will be conserved. For the simple reason that it seems generally impossible to guarantee that inter-packet spacing is conserved (think "cross-traffic" at the bottleneck hop along the path and general bunching up of packets in the queue of a fast to slow transition*). I also would claim that the way L4S works (if it works) is to synchronize all active flows at the bottleneck which in tirn means each sender has only a very small timewindow in which to transmit a packet for it to hits its "slot" in the bottleneck L4S scheduler, otherwise, L4S's low queueing delay guarantees will not work. In other words the senders have basically no say in the "spacing between packets", I fail to see how L4S improves upon FQ in that regard.

 IMHO having per-flow fairness as the defaults seems quite reasonable, endpoints can still throttle flows to their liking. Now per-flow fairness still can be "abused", so by itself it might not be sufficient, but neither is L4S as it has at best stochastic guarantees, as a single queue AQM (let's ignore the RFC3168 part of the AQM) there is the probability to send a throtteling signal to a low bandwidth flow (fair enough, it is only a mild throtteling signal, but still).
But enough about my opinion, what is the ideal fairness measure in your mind, and what is realistically achievable over the internet?

Best Regards
	Sebastian