[Ecn-sane] per-flow scheduling

Luca Muscariello luca.muscariello at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 05:33:00 EDT 2019

+ David Reed, as I'm not sure he's on the ecn-sane list.

To me, it seems like a very religious position against per-flow queueing.
BTW, I fail to see how this would violate (in a "profound" way ) the e2e
principle.

When I read it (the e2e principle)

Saltzer, J. H., D. P. Reed, and D. D. Clark (1981) "End-to-End Arguments in
System Design".
In: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Distributed
Computing Systems. Paris, France.
April 8–10, 1981. IEEE Computer Society, pp. 509-512.
(available on line for free).

It seems very much like the application of the Occam's razor to function
placement in communication networks back in the 80s.
I see no conflict between what is written in that paper and per-flow
queueing today, even after almost 40 years.

If that was the case, then all service differentiation techniques would
violate the e2e principle in a "profound" way too,
and dualQ too. A policer? A shaper? A priority queue?

Luca