[Ecn-sane] [Bloat] [iccrg] Fwd: [tcpPrague] Implementation and experimentation of TCP Prague/L4S hackaton at IETF104

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Mar 15 14:07:58 EDT 2019

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019, Dave Taht wrote:

> It appears, also, ironically, (I have confirmation from several sources
> now) that cake, fq_codel and dualpi are now illegal for an ISP to use in
> their provided equipment under california law. The idea of one day
> having to appear in court to defend our key algorithms reminds me of the
> famous john fogerty case where he demonstrated how blues music was made.

I would love to know more about this. Running an AQM on the customer
access that doesn't prioritize some specific service should be fine, ie it
doesn't explicitly do something the *customer* doesn't benefit from.

Net neutrality should be about what the ISP does to benefit itself, not
what is done on the customer access line (the scheduler per customer) that
just looks at packet flow characteristics and isn't configured to
prioritize any specific content (src/destination/port etc).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se