[Ecn-sane] can we setup a "how to get this into existing networks" get-together in Prague coming week?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Mar 21 06:31:39 EDT 2019

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> Btw, in
> http://1ukcym66nom10cmylunctf84-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/TR-156_Issue-2-1.pdf
> 5.2.x you can see how scheduling is done. If you'd like something like
> that changed then anything new needs to go into documents like these in
> order to get further deplyment.

Btw, I reached out to some people here at the BBF about doing
anti-bufferbloat in this context and getting this into the documents, and
there is no reason why this can't be introduced.

Now, the proposal needs to be "reasonable" and implementable, so if
someone would be interested in work like that I'd like to hear from you. I
have taken initiative in trying to come up with configuration guidance for
operators for their existing equipment, and that could be a way forward.

So this won't be "put CAKE or FQ_CODEL everywhere", but instead introduce
configuration guidance regarding bufferbloat, best common practice for
different deployment scenarios etc. Let's not try to boil the ocean right
away, but let's try to point industry in the right direction. BBF creates
documents that architects networks that connects ~1B households, so
whatever we come up with could benefit lots of people.

I understand that for some people here this will seem like stone age
primive mechanisms, but it's still better than doing nothing at all (which
is often the case). It would especially be beneficial to get similar
guidance from several organisations (CableLabs and BBF would be two that
immediately comes to mind).

I'll be at the IETF meeting monday-friday coming week, can we set up a
meeting with some interested parties and actually have a "how do we get
this into networks" kind of meeting. It would not be "my mechanism is
better than yours" meeting, I'm not interested in that in this context.

I'm interested in "what can we do to improve the situation in the next 1-2
years including installed base".

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se