[Ecn-sane] robustness against attack?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Mar 25 11:23:35 EDT 2019

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019, Jonathan Morton wrote:

>> On 25 Mar, 2019, at 8:16 am, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
>>
>> Do people on this email list think we're trying to trick you when we're saying that FQ won't be available anytime soon on a lot of platforms that need this kind of AQM?
>
> Well, I don't.  I recognise that most high-capacity links will end up
> with single-queue AQM, because that's what's already out there in
> hardware (though it's rarely turned on so far).  I'm still keen to see
> good FQ used where feasible, and in ways that make local sense.

Ok, so can we please drop the "FQ" part of the conversation for the next
months, and argue on few-queue systems and how to come up with things that
are friendly to implement in hardware?

Just to state again what I have said several times:

Devices such as high speed residential gateways, BNGs, CMTSs etc, they
will not get FQ anytime in the next 5-10 years (or someone will have to
prove me wrong).

So please stop arguing about the wonderfulness of FQ. Yes, fine, it's
great, but it's also not applicable to lots of places where we need to
de-bloat.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se