[Ecn-sane] [tsvwg] Fwd: my backlogged comments on the ECT(1) interim call

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Apr 29 07:21:11 EDT 2020

Hi Bob,

more below in-line.

> On Apr 29, 2020, at 12:32, Bob Briscoe <ietf at bobbriscoe.net> wrote:
>
> Sebastian,
>
> On 29/04/2020 10:46, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>>

>>> On Apr 29, 2020, at 11:31, Bob Briscoe <ietf at bobbriscoe.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dave,
>>>
>>> Please don't tar everything with the same brush. Inline...

	[SM] Yes, please report the outcome of such a test, as this s not an irrelevant corner-case, but one of the conditions where L4S needs to shine if you want it to succeed. The idea here would be obviously to instantiate one L4S AQM instance per direction, just as the RFC's propose L4S to be rolled-out.

QUESTON: I take it that you actually have tested topologies with one DualQ instance per direction, but you never attempted to saturate bot directions simultaneously, or did you only ever test topologies with a single AQM instance?

> Until we introduce ACK congestion control (host) or RFC3449-compliant ACK thinning (network), such tests would just prove the need for better ACK congestion control or good ACK thinning, and not properly test the thing we're both trying to test.

	[SM] Pardon me? Please go and try standard SQM with either HTB+fq_codel or just cake and revisit the idea about ACK traffic to be an unsurmountable challenge. And for your entertainment cake actually has a optional ACK filter...
	What I want to say, I have tested that condition already and the relative low-latency solution I use copes with that rather nasty traffic pattern pretty well, from reading the L4S drafts my understanding that L4S should also perform admirably here.

> IOW, if you want to test a solution to problem A, there's no point using a scenario that deliberately shows up problem B, for which a solution isn't included in the test environment.

	[SM] So you are saying that L4S is not suitable for bi-directionally saturating traffic? I have long complained about the lack of testing against adversarial traffic patterns in L4S, but here we are not talking adversarial traffic, but really the bread and butter traffic, a solution that claims to deliver low-latency, low-loss and high throughput needs to cope with gracefully.
	IMHO, ACK thinning is a red herring, as the acceptable performance of SQM (without ACK thinning) under these conditions demonstrates.

> As is made clear in the informative part of the ECN++ draft ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-generalized-ecn-05#section-4.4.1 ), AccECN feedback provides an easy basis to integrate ACK congestion control with data congestion control.

	[SM] All fine, but if L4S really depends on this for normal operation, this needs to be honestly described in the L4S RFC IMHO, especially what the expected consequences are of not fixing ACK congestion.

> However, when you're digging the foundations for others to build on -

	[SM] How about we let history be the judge of that?

> you can't do all the building work as well - you have to rely on other people to take up that mantle (hence the pointers I gave to the other work on sender control of ACK thinning, that are now snipped from this thread).

	[SM] Well, if you promise the world, the onus is on you to deliver it. If, as it seems, you just agreed, that L4S as currently designed and implemented will not gracefully deal with bi-directionally saturating loads... Puzzled, why you believe the releasing L4S into the wild before that open flank is closed?

> This is something else I meant to say to Dave. When testing distributed systems, you have to test each change one at a time, to discover which changes are good and which are bad.

	[SM] And then you need to test whether what you learned in the isolated/reduced cases also holds for the interactions...

> That's why there is a role for tests with simple traffic mixes, even tho they're not realistic. Yes, it's also necessary to show a system works as a whole in a realistic setting (hence the tests I pointed to with real applications), but for testing purposes, changing multiple things at once gives little insight into potential problems or actual problems.

	[SM] I am puzzled, if you consider bi-directional saturating traffic to be theoretically problematic for L4S, why did you not actually go and confirm that, and then try to figure out remedies INSIDE of the L4S framework (and with that I mean the ietf relevant portions, if you consider TCP Prague as part of L4S, It would be nice to see an RFC draft for that)

Regards
	Sebastian