[Ecn-sane] rtt-fairness question

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Thu Apr 14 16:49:41 EDT 2022

What does this have to do with QUIC and "spin bits"?
Just asking because Michael triggered me to read the QUIC document he cited and that got me to go and read RFC 9002 which supposedly (but not really) suggests that QUIC has a "solution" to congestion in it.
I'm awfully skeptical that QUIC's solution is a solution and not a new dramatic problem.

To me, the key metric of solution is that it can be deployed in less than a year across the entire current Internet - and it works. Otherwise, it's just handwaving but-if-only-we-did-it-this-other-way everything would be great. That is what ECN has been all along, along with diffserv.

I think ECN has a shot at being helpful, but the core problem is that it was premised on the idea that in order to mark, you first need to create a bloated buffer in some bottleneck link, and that all endpoints will treat ECN as they treat a dropped packet. But the endpoints stack designers are still measuring throughput only, so they have no incentive to decrease windows, because that would make throughput low. This isn't a problem with ECN, really, you could mark a packet that goes through a node that is not already overloaded, but it takes courage to do that when all the industry is saying "you just lowered throughput from 99.9% to 98%".