[LibreQoS] ookla speedtest results?

Robert Chacón robert.chacon at jackrabbitwireless.com
Mon Oct 24 11:02:36 EDT 2022

I can run an Ookla test in the middle of the night with LibreQoS off for a
bit.
>From what I recall - without Libre we see download bloat of 300ms or so.
With Libre, it's gone. On waveform we see 0ms added bloat each direction
for most clients.

And I like the "monitor only" mode idea.
Perhaps we could create the HTB tree, but just not attach the CAKE qdisc?
Technically even HTB could reduce latency by itself on overloaded APs , so
it wouldn't be true passive monitoring, but it would allow us to compare
the before/after of CAKE while still having qdiscs we can point
cpumap-pping to.

Alternatively, maybe we could use eBPF PPing just for this passive
monitoring period?

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 8:02 AM Herbert Wolverson via LibreQoS <
libreqos at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> Are you looking for a shaped result? That'll show "whatever bandwidth
> is left on the sector" without Libre, and around the customer's paid-for
> target with Libre (hopefully!).
>
> One thing Preseem does well is that their onboarding process includes
> "leave it in monitoring-only mode" for a week, gathering data before you
> pull the switch (although most ISPs I've talked to just pull the switch...)
> It's quite enlightening to see a before/after, even with only FQ_CODEL
> as the shaper.
>
> We could probably do something similar with a "monitor only" mode that
> doesn't enable any queues (is there a TC equivalent to "dummy" on
> FreeBSD?).
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 8:52 AM Dave Taht via LibreQoS <
> libreqos at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
>> I am curious if anyone here has speedtest results with libreqos on and
>> off, and can send a screen shot?
>>
>> --
>> This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
>>
>> https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz
>> Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC

Robert Chacón
CEO | JackRabbit Wireless LLC <http://jackrabbitwireless.com>