[LibreQoS] Rain Fade (was Ack-filtering)

dan dandenson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:25:10 EDT 2022

> How bad are y'all's gear doing with rain fade on various techs and
> bands? in 08, in nica, I'd go from a working 70 db 10 mile shot to
> nothin at 5ghz when it rained, and I just laughed at the people trying
> to deploy 60ghz - but times change. I see a vendor trying to ship 60
> with *really good antennas* into the office market...
>
> big question to ask when so busy, please ignore me.

I have extensive testing with almost every gear out there.

5Ghz, no appreciable fade in snow or rain.  Longest shot on network right
now is 26 miles on AF5xHD 5Ghz on 2' dishes and we push a solid 300Mbps
across this with zero fade.  Actually gets a tiny bit better in the rain,
ie it is technically fading a bit but so is all the noise so it's a minor
improvement.

I have 2x 7 miles force 425 links that are pushing 550Mbps.  And a 10 miles
force 400c on 2' ubiquiti dishes that pushes 940 unidirectional in 80Mhz.
No rain fade.  Lots of af5xhd and force4x links in different distances.  We
even mix in some LTU PtMP as PTP for price, ie LTU AP <> LTU-LR or LTU-Pro
for PTP.  Works well enough though this product is susceptible to noise
more than any other we use.

Cambium 60Mhz cnwave is fantastic, legit 120 meters per link node to node
or small CPE, 500M to big CPE, about 300 to the not-quite-released mid
CPE.  Pushing 1.7Gbps FDX on against my preseem box and my m2 macbook with
nperf UDP.

Ubiquiti gigabeam line, <1km ok, <800m even better.  AF 'LR' and 'XR' rock
solid at 2km, up to about 5km until they're down too much to be usable.
Always backed up by a 5Ghz radio.

Ubiquiti Wave, legit AP<>CPE out 2km and never fails over.  4km w/ wifi6
failover.  Fantastic product... probably the one to beat.

Mikrotik 60Ghz 'ay about 200m on AP to small CPE, 500m AP to nRay.  Can get
a little more but it's really close and rain fade gets you.  These have 'ac
wireless backup in them so we can EASILY push 300m on the small and 800m on
the nRay knowing we have about 4 hours a year in 5Ghz failover.

Basically, and MIMO 5Ghz, 6Ghz, or 2.4Ghz product isn't going to
noticably fade.  MOST fade in these bands is actually thermal ducting
'turning' the beam off aim.

60Ghz should be considered 2 separate bands.  channels 1-4 are short range,
<1km in PTP, <300m in PtMP if you want to have links stay up.  channels 5,6
are 2-3x longer.  Unfortunately, only ubiquiti really playing in this space
right now, mikrotik's channel 5 support is at a lower output power so it's
'ok'.  Tachyon coming into this space as well, but unproven and AFAIK zero
beta deployments.

5Ghz <=200M service plans today with a well built network and good
AP/Antenna choices, <=500Mbps with WiFi6 tech.  technically a bit more, but
with reasonable ratios this is about right
6Ghz <=900Mbps plans on live beta users.  OFDMA+MUMIMO is really delivering
here.
60Ghz 'low' band cambium, 1.7Gbps legit across the mesh, twice that with
upcoming channel bonding.  base CPE 1Gbps port, mid 2.5gbps port, long
10Gbps port(s).  Build out model here is for 'In the rain' so no effective
fade if built right.  if built wrong, fade to death.
60Ghz 'high' band ubiquiti wave.  <=800Mbps.  Technically a bit more but I
haven't convinced a Wave AP to a Wave LR to do it.  I can however get 2
customers/radios up to 1.5Gbps across the AP.  Plan with built in fade and
intentional fail to 5Ghz beyond 2km.   Acceptable in Montana.