[LibreQoS] Rain Fade (was Ack-filtering)

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:05:34 EDT 2022

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 3:58 PM Herbert Wolverson <herberticus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hit the wrong reply button, that happens a lot when I try to type on my phone.
>
> I'm going to test tracking many more flows early in the morning. It should slightly increase ram usage, and have no ill effects. "Should" doesn't always work out, hence testing!
>
> I meant "flooding" in the "oh crap, site underwater" sense. We'd need a boat to get to one tower right now! It doesn't currently have power, which I suspect is related.

re: flooding, yea, forgot about that kind. :) I hate to harp on it
more than once a week, but we designed fq_codel first and foremost to
cope with rain fade on the backhaul. Now that people just use it to
enforce plans :( gathering statistics as to radio behaviors when it
rains, and/or clearly identifying weather, when looking at historical
data seems apt.

How bad are y'all's gear doing with rain fade on various techs and
bands? in 08, in nica, I'd go from a working 70 db 10 mile shot to
nothin at 5ghz when it rained, and I just laughed at the people trying
to deploy 60ghz - but times change. I see a vendor trying to ship 60
with *really good antennas* into the office market...

big question to ask when so busy, please ignore me.

> Turned ack filter off, after some customers reported issues (others were really happy). The unhappy campers were all on Cambium devices, with good signal and modulations. Maybe Cambium is doing some "magic"? We'll try a unidirectional test tomorrow.

Maybe an exceptions db for stuff that is too smart or weird. TCP
"accellerator"s are everywhere.