[LibreQoS] Intro

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 12:19:15 EDT 2022

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 9:16 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 8:52 AM Zach Underwood via LibreQoS
> <libreqos at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
> >
> > Dave recommended that I introduce myself to the list.
>
> Very nice to have you join us. There's been a lot of good traffic this
> month in the archives. Feel free to weigh in on any subject!!!
>
> >  I am a wifi engineer at Whitesky which is owned by Realpage(yeah I know about the lawsuit, that is not my group). We provide wifi and wired internet services at multiple family housing units. We have 600 sites in the USA and service 135k units. With about 60% being student housing and avg install 1200 APs a week. We range from a 20 unit complex to  5000 unit housing like Harvard graduate housing. Our standard deployment is an example of a 200 unit complex. We will order and install a 10gb wave or EPL from say level3, atnt, uniti or another fiber company between the site and one of our 13 datacenters. In the datacenter  we have IX connections, private peering and transit connections. The fiber will connected to a mikrotik crs317_1g_16s_rm to be used as a wan switch. Next we have a pair of ccr2004_1g_12s_2xs.
>
> What version of routerOS? I'm always at pains to say fq_codel was
> designed to run at line rate (cheaply), NOT shaped... and that the fq
> helps smooth out microbursts, and the aqm is way better than a drop
> tail queue, and am very enthused about the routeros 7.2 and later
> availability of it, but still struggle to convince people to
> "just turn it on" as we did in openwrt, linux, ios, etc so long ago.
>
> > Half of the site vlans are on one router and the other half on the other router. All vlans on each router we NAT(for v4) to a single public ip(so two public ip per site). We also dual stack for v6 and offer dhcpv6-pd on the wired network. After the routers they connect to the nexus 3k core switch and then 10gb links to 3750x that power APs in unit and service wired drops. We do not rate limit or do any type of shaping.
>
> This is one of those things that then, gets done naturally, at the
> bottleneck point, which is most likely
> the wifi, but might, in a complex campus, be at the up or downlinks. I
> was deeply impressed by the ruckus spec
> (https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/ruckus-networks-delivers-their-first-802-11ax-product-and-it-is-a-beast)-
> which transliterated reads almost like a direct implementation of the
> stuff we described to them circa 2019? (2020?), in what I thought
> (then) was a  disastrous meeting with their (now ex) CEO. (I refer to
> this story here: )

Oops: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vExojh82p-k

I should really lay down of that ruckus meeting, it was, in
retrospect, funny as heck. He really did basically stand up and beat
his chest and say "Our buffers are the biggest in the industry!!",
where everyone else looked at him in horror. Who was going to tell the
emperor he had no clothes?