[LibreQoS] [Starlink] NZ latest latency report

Ulrich Speidel u.speidel at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jul 5 17:17:38 EDT 2023

Sorry have been pretty quiet lately as I've tried to slot some overdue leave in and have been on the road. The most experimenting I've done in the last month has been trying to check out what polar latitude a Ka-band GEO based aircraft WiFi system loses its connectivity at - thanks to Vladimir Putin on a now 14-something hour flight from Haneda to Frankfurt that goes way up there. Answer: somewhere not too far north of Alaska.

NZ broadband survey & Starlink: Pretty much what we saw a few months ago. Given that Starlink seem to manage average load by putting the throttle on subscriptions based on location, I don't expect this to change much longer term either. Goodput depends on how much of a satellite's capacity you can grab, which depends on the number of currently competing users, which they manage closely. Oh and yes the latencies... I suspect that as long as they have full satellite utilisation and the latencies aren't so extreme that they impact on voice / video comms, Starlink will probably just sit pretty, especially if the extra buffering helps absorb windfall load from new handovers.

Dr. Ulrich Speidel

Department of Computer Science

Room 303S.594
Ph: (+64-9)-373-7599 ext. 85282