[Make-wifi-fast] [Cerowrt-devel] [tsvwg] Comments on draft-szigeti-tsvwg-ieee-802-11e

Simon Barber simon at superduper.net
Sun Aug 9 16:27:21 EDT 2015

11ac with it's always on RTS/CTS and mandatory A-MPDUs really performs
much better than many 11n implementations. It's finally a fairly sane
MAC. The 64 bit limit in the compressed block ack is a limiter though.
The really wide channels are another complex area for busy networks.

The aggregation overhead for 11ac is about 222uS, counting EDCA backoff,
RTS, CTS, PLCP header and the Block-ACK and all the inter frame spaces.
One full size ethernet frame at 1Gb/s = ~12us. Large aggregates are
critical to good efficiency and performance, and a certain amount of
queuing is required to form them. They have to be completely formed
before transmission starts.

Simon