[Make-wifi-fast] [Cerowrt-devel] [tsvwg] Comments on draft-szigeti-tsvwg-ieee-802-11e

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sun Aug 9 17:43:30 EDT 2015

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015, Simon Barber wrote:

> 11ac with it's always on RTS/CTS and mandatory A-MPDUs really performs much
> better than many 11n implementations. It's finally a fairly sane MAC. The 64
> bit limit in the compressed block ack is a limiter though. The really wide
> channels are another complex area for busy networks.
>
> The aggregation overhead for 11ac is about 222uS, counting EDCA backoff, RTS,
> CTS, PLCP header and the Block-ACK and all the inter frame spaces. One full
> size ethernet frame at 1Gb/s = ~12us. Large aggregates are critical to good
> efficiency and performance, and a certain amount of queuing is required to
> form them. They have to be completely formed before transmission starts.

do you know the per-transmission overhead for different modes (n and a/g
specifically)? Also, what parts of the
overhead get extended when the data rate slows? It's all well and good to talk
about a full size packet being 12us at 1GHz, but that requires a good signal an
3x3 radios. If instead you are on a 1x1 radio with not as good a signal, you can
easily drop your data rate by an order of magnatude or so. At ~100Mb your data
packet is now 120us, what is the overhead? if you drop to 10Mb your packet is
now 1200us, what is the overhead.

David Lang