[Make-wifi-fast] on savewifi.org and establishing the value to the world of wifi

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 06:59:53 EST 2015

I had a couple meta-thoughts this morning about how to make the real
importance of wifi more apparent.

A thought would be to ask various folk (or do a contest, or ask the
world at large) - to write an essay or story where they

A) imagine a world where wifi never happened

or

B) Or one where it was made more illegal than it is today (or less -
what would wifi be like if wep and wpa not been adopted, favoring e2e
encryption, and responsibility for running open APs didn't fall on the
owner)?

or

C) imagine one where wifi fails completely (As it already does in
large cities and at distance, and in crowded areas)

or

D) talked about what they used wifi for originally and what they use
it for today.

or

E) What it could be used for tomorrow?

I've done a lot of story-telling about what wifi means and meant to
*me* over the years... (and can easily do more)

but I'll argue that discussion on everything from serious stuff
analysing the economic impact, the change in people's habits, the rise
of entirely new markets, to trival stuff like "how wifi save my
poodle's life", to stories like Stross/Doctorow's "the unwirer"......
(which I remember reading online, it's well worth buying) [1]

in order to preserve this wonderful freedom-full wireless technology
we are so in danger of losing.... as it's unclear, sometimes, what,
exactly, we're fighting for, here.

[1] I would have loved to have seen doctorow's talk earlier this week:

"No Matter who's Winning the War on General Purpose Computing, You're Losing"

 http://www.online-educa.com/programme/agenda/sessions/com11

hope it was filmed.?

https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi