[Make-wifi-fast] [bufferbloat-fcc-discuss] on savewifi.org and establishing the value to the world of wifi

Lauren Weinstein lauren4321 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 12:39:50 EST 2015

I say again, if you want to win this war, it's going to take pressure from
ordinary non-techies in large numbers, and "*The government wants to
control your Wi-Fi" *is the approach most likely to succeed.

I'll tell you a little story. Years ago, I held a pair of conferences here
in L.A. on "save the Internet" issues. One of the attendees was this quite
quiet -- very thoughtful when he spoke -- man I didn't know, who sat in the
back taking notes. All dressed in black. My registration data showed him as
being from the D.C. area.

After one of the sessions he pulled me aside and said (pretty much in these
words), "Lauren, I want to give you some free advice. You're all
approaching these topics from logical, technical standpoints, and the
politicians are going to steamroll over you and squash you like bugs.
Either learn to play the game their way or you're wasting your time, or
even worse."

After the conference, I did some research on this fellow, and learned he
was an uber-powerful senior D.C. lobbyist who worked for (among other
companies) one of the most powerful and intrinsically evil industries in
the U.S. I felt like I had gotten advice from Darth Vader.

But he was absolutely right.