[Make-wifi-fast] Updated LEDE build with airtime patches

Jon Pike jonpike54 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:14:29 EST 2016

Hello all...

Well, with medical issues, and having a busy week,  I didn't get back right
away.  Here's the DSLReports Speedtest runs I took.

My results here are pretty variable,  so I don't know how trustworthy they
are or how worth while to you guys,  vs  FLENT runs.
The lower block is using Toke's 11-18 C7 FW build,  the upper block is with
the 11-24 build.

Upshot,  on my Archer C7,  both ran for days with no apparent issues,  on
my home network.  Interesting note,  I ran both the C7 v2 and the C7 v3,
both ran fine.  So, if you end up with a v3,  it shouldn't be an issue.
Further side note,  the different configuration of the v3 model,  with both
2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on the external "rabbit ears" antennas, seems to have a bit
stronger signal on 2.4Ghz on the other end of my house,  than the v2 model
that has 3 separate, small 2.4Ghz antennas inside the box.  Caveat,  my
testing of that wasn't very thourough..

My overall home network setup is:  Cox cable - SB6146 modem - Archer C7
router - various clients.   I did testing on a PC plugged directely in a
eth port of the C7,  to PC's using Netgear Netgear WNA3100  N300, and A6200
AC1200 USB adapters.

Below are the links to DSLReports,  on the tests.  Most have cake, and
piece of cake, and Noah's suggested settings, with speed caps of 55 and 5
mbit.  My cable is supposed to be 60/6,  I see 65 often, with wild speed
variation on the UL, settling to 5-6mbits.

I have the Speedtest settings set for hi res bufferbloat,  test time
extended to 20sec, which is about as long as you can go without pushing the
start of the test off the end of that graph.

Let me know if this is in any way useful,  or what I can do to make it more
worth looking at.  It seems so variable and random, that I wonder about the
worth,  as well as you don't get a good look at what the latencey is over
time,  vs FLENT.

eth0 to router   -  no SQM

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6656688  Starts near 60, plateau 64-65
(hits 66) then drops to 52-54 at the 10sec mark. UL hits 18, before falling
down to a 4.5-5.5 average  Bloat C

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6657058  very similar,  but bloat an A
this time

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6657916    "        Bloat a C this time

now C7 V2, with Toke 11-24 FW  SQM 55/5

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6659367 51.2 1.65, bloat B

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6659493 52.4 3.01  bloat A  peak of
300-400ms  on all including idle?

Earlier tests with Toke's 11-18 FW,  SQM 55/5 mbits

2.4Ghz N adapter  Netgear WNA3100  N300 adapter




2.4Ghz AC adapter  Netgear A6200 AC1200 adapter




5Ghz AC adapter  Netgear A6200 AC1200 adapter




http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6441132   (first A grade of the batch)

eth1 to C7




---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jon Pike <jonpike54 at gmail.com>
To: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke at toke.dk>
Cc: make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 21:58:46 -0800
Subject: Re: [Make-wifi-fast] Updated LEDE build with airtime patches

Wish I wasn't out of town still...  I could have got some time with the new
one.  Had been running the 11-18 build version of yours,  on a C7 v2 in my
mixed home network enviroment.  N devices, AC devices,  a semi rogue N
range extender, all running WPA2-AES.

I did see some occasional large amounts of bloat,  most of the time good
behavior.  Occasional odd, regular thru put drops to 1/4 speed.   I
mentioned this in earlier posts,  have done some more detailed testing
since,  that's at home and unavailable  till I'm home again.  You could see
a few DSLReports logs in my posts.

Hope that helps...
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/make-wifi-fast/attachments/20161202/c6150460/attachment.html>

More information about the Make-wifi-fast mailing list