[Make-wifi-fast] half the transmission time?

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Thu Dec 15 08:40:54 EST 2016

The citation for the "fact" in the first paragraph is a theory paper, not a measurement paper.

My experience with theory papers in this space is that they are incredibly sensitive to assumptions, and such assumptions are often wildly wrong compared to the real world of radio, often in the pessimistic direction!

Theorists are terrible at inventing models unless their models are tested by measuring.

Thus, it is important for the measurement community to adopt the attitude of experimental physics... Measure all predicted behaviors, even if you'd like to believe the beautiful theory. This is how the diameter of the proton was discovered to be off in the second significant digit, way off. Yet we are repeatedly told by the theoretical physicists that the Standard Model is accurate to 15 significant digits at minimum.

Theory is great, and I use it a lot, even doing my own theory work. But I also check predictions about engineered systems by measuring. Even such claims as "widely known facts", which, by the way should been challenged by peer review!

Do we know any measurements that challenge this claim? Of course...