[Make-wifi-fast] [Cake] Airtime fairness patch merged upstream, and the Turris Omnia debloated

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 20:41:24 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Toke,
>
> Do you know if it's made it into the LEDE nightlies, yet?  I loaded up the
> Dec 22 nightly onto my WNDR3800.  Running rrul I'm getting about 10-30ms of
> latency over wired on the same link (and wifi is definitely the limit, as

I'm assuming you meant wireless above?

> it's using piece_of_cake at 135M down, 12M up (and I'm seeing 0 measurable

I really don't recommend cake at much greater than 60Mbits on this
hardware inbound.

> additional latency from piece of cake).

rrul stresses out both sides of the wifi connection AND all the Qos queues.

rrul_be stresses out both sides but only one queue.

rrul remains generally awful on wifi unless your dscp markings have
been eliminated in transit.

for rrul_be - unless you've got the fq_codel code on both sides, you
aren't going to see as much benefit, and even if you are, the double
buffering on both sides leads to a typical latency of about 10ms each
way in this scenario. (so if you got it, you are inline with our
results).

I generally switched to using tcp_nup and tcp_ndown (with varying
numbers of flows), as well as the various rtt_fair_var tests against
multiple stations, to evaluate the wifi changes.

It's not clear to me if the quantum and codel targets were restored to
their defaults in this release (300->1514, 20ms -> 5ms)

http://blog.cerowrt.org