[Make-wifi-fast] Making non-ath wifi fast?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 13:34:03 EST 2016

yes, the broadcom wifi  biz just got sold to  cypress, and cypress has
always been a lot better about data sheets and engineering support
than broadcom. I hope that with this move, that someone(s) will be
able to start paying back a lot of technical debt in their wifi
designs. I hope mediatek and samsung come around, too. I don't have a
lot of hope for QCA....

Not having access to these core materials has been a real pain in the ath.

Worse, however, IMHO is the lack of core developers with deep
understandings of how wifi and wirey-less - in part due to the lack of
documentation -

It took years for multiple engineers to acquire enough technical
expertise to make dents in these problems. Many have burned out, or
are on the verge of doing so. The amount of investment the few have
made in figuring out how to do this stuff has not been rewarding,
financial or otherwise. If we could only convince more of the
chipmakers and ISPs that continued good wifi performance was as or
more important than major investments in 5G, that would be good.

I've been looking around for something else to do worth funding for a
long time, and the only opportunities seem to be in getting behind the
next pets.com in today's investment environments.

http://blog.cerowrt.org