[Make-wifi-fast] [Bloat] benefits of ack filtering

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Fri Dec 1 07:53:51 EST 2017

Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> writes:

> On 01/12/17 01:28, David Lang wrote:
>> Stop thinking in terms of single-flow benchmarks and near idle
>> 'upstream' paths.
>
> Nobody has said it so I will: on wifi-connected endpoints the upstream
> acks also compete for airtime with the downstream flow.

There's a related discussion going on over on the make-wifi-fast list
related to the FastACK scheme proposed by Meraki at this year's IMC:

https://conferences.sigcomm.org/imc/2017/papers/imc17-final203.pdf

It basically turns link-layer ACKs into upstream TCP ACKs (and handles
some of the corner cases resulting from this) and also seems to contain
an ACK compression component.

-Toke