[Make-wifi-fast] [Bloat] benefits of ack filtering

Кирилл Луконин klukonin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 08:13:50 EST 2017

As I noticed from the Meraki document:

"FastACK also relies on packet inspection, and will not work when
payload is encrypted. However, in our networks, we do not currently
see an extensive use of encryption techniques like IPSec."

But what about TLS ?
As for me, this technology will never work in most cases.

Best regards,
Lukonin Kirill.

> Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 01/12/17 01:28, David Lang wrote:
>>> Stop thinking in terms of single-flow benchmarks and near idle
>>> 'upstream' paths.
>>
>> Nobody has said it so I will: on wifi-connected endpoints the upstream
>> acks also compete for airtime with the downstream flow.
>
> There's a related discussion going on over on the make-wifi-fast list
> related to the FastACK scheme proposed by Meraki at this year's IMC:
>
> https://conferences.sigcomm.org/imc/2017/papers/imc17-final203.pdf
>
> It basically turns link-layer ACKs into upstream TCP ACKs (and handles
> some of the corner cases resulting from this) and also seems to contain
> an ACK compression component.
>
> -Toke

Best Regards,
Lukonin Kirill