[Make-wifi-fast] How to efficient test ath10k driver changed on LEDE platform?

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Tue Dec 12 08:03:42 EST 2017

Louie Lu <me at louie.lu> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using TP-Link C2600 with LEDE to test ath10k driver,
> not sure if there have a better way to make the procedure more efficient.
>
> This is my current workflow:
>
> 1. Using ath.git to make the changed I want (apply make-wifi-fast path
> for example)
> 2. git-patch to get the patch file
> 3. Put the patch file into LEDE ./package/kernel/mac80211/patches/
> 4. Build up LEDE
> 5. scp ath10k kernel module into C2600 and reboot C2600
> 6. Check and test with the modified driver
>
> I'm wondering if step 5 can reduce the reboot step, just rmmod and insmod
> ath10k driver when it is running to save the reboot time.

Yup, reinstalling the kmod-ath10k package (or just copying over the new
.ko) and rmmod/insmod is fine. Just make sure you get all the modules
(including all the ath* and mac80211*).

> Also, sometimes apply patch into LEDE may cause error when compiling
> ath10k driver,
> is there any way to specify which version of ath10k that LEDE to
> build?

LEDE backports the entire WiFi stack. So it's way newer than the rest of
the kernel; think you can see the date it was backported in the version
number in the Makefile.

-Toke