[Make-wifi-fast] [LEDE-DEV] ath9k airtime fairness stabiity issues?

L. D. Pinney ldpinney at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 10:17:57 EST 2017

Hello Dave :
Can you please stop cross posting?
It's quite annoying to see this unrelated babble about UN-related ath10k when subject is ath9k
Felix says it a no go on ath9k airtime fairness for the release....AND that's all we really need to know :)

Larry

    On Thursday, January 5, 2017 11:08 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

 On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior at tieto.com> wrote:
> On 5 January 2017 at 14:23, Felix Fietkau <nbd at nbd.name> wrote:

>>> Hi nbd & Toke,
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to enable it only on platforms like the tp-link
>>> archer c7 v2 and the ubnt, where we have confirmed test reports for
>>> the upcoming release ?
>> I think it's quite unlikely that these issues are hardware specific.
>> It's probably more related to the environment, types of clients, or even
>> traffic patterns.
>
> Some people are complaining ath10k is unstable for them when
> wake_tx_queue is enabled. I suspect the ATF problem in ath9k might be
> providing extra opportunities to hit the same bug.

Hmm. I would assume most ath10k users are on a multi-core?

> I think RCU is not properly handled. txq_info shares lifecycle of
> sta_info and should therefore be protected in the same manner. When
> you queue up ieee80211_txq in a driver and use it later you
> effectively break RCU. Grabbing rcu_read_lock() *later*, e.g. when
> re-scheduling tx is not sufficient to protect from the possible race
> of part1/part2 of station destroying logic and driver accessing its
> internal txq list.

Sounds like a promising theory. Most of our testing was on single-core
devices, with the multi-core x86 version being kernel mainline
(4.8ish), and not the lede backport.

I long had mildly poor results in terms of throughput on the apu2 (x86
dual core), but assumed it was due to poor antennas. (no crashes)

The omnia is a dual core arm, but I don't have one of those.

As it turns out the UAP-lite I flashed ~2 days back is crashed right
now, and another box was failing to get dhcp addresses (why I was
looking at multicast), not even over ethernet.

(someone remind me to not take a vacation over the holidays, next time
there's holidays)

http://blog.cerowrt.org