[Make-wifi-fast] Fwd: Re: [iccrg] TCP behavior across WiFi pointers ?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Nov 30 04:03:49 EST 2017

> On Nov 30, 2017, at 09:07, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "We propose that receiving of an 802.11 ACK is a reliable hint that
> the corresponding TCP segments will eventually be processed by the
> receiver’s transport layer. On receipt of an 802.11 ACK from the
> wireless client, the AP will proactively generate a fake TCP ACK on
> behalf of the TCP receiver, forwarding it to the TCP sender. This
> results in the TCP ACKs arriving sooner at the sender, eliminating the
> delay variation induced by medium contention at the receiver. Since
> the receiver will still send a TCP ACK, these now-duplicate TCP ACKs
> should be suppressed by the AP. The TCP sender is thus shielded in the
> revers..."

Now, I admit I am no expert here, but that is crazy talk, making ack thinning look sane (note, I believe that thinning is _sane_ if explicitly opted-in by the end-user, less so if transparently and proactively performed by some hop along the path not under control of the end-users; I have no real opinion on its sanity as a measure against actual congestion.). But this is an active (crazy?) bet on the rest of the rest of the link being error free. In other words it is a gamble which will probably improve the average while also causing more/more extreme extremes, I wonder what measures they use to support their .

Mildly funny side-note fast in german literally means "almost" in that sense the moniker "fastACK" looks actually quite fitting.

QUESTION:
"The receipt of an 802.11 ACK at the AP triggers it to send the corresponding fast ACK to the TCP sender, thereby moving it past the current sequence number. The client on the other hand would send a duplicate ACK for this lost segment. This is a problem since the TCP sender might not hold that packet anymore in its outgoing bu er, thereby disrupting the TCP session. To avoid this, the FastACK agent inserts each data packet into its local cache before forwarding it downstream. A duplicate ACK from the client then triggers local retransmissions from this cache, on behalf of the TCP sender. Second, local retransmissions are cheaper (and low-overhead) as compared to the end-to-end retransmissions. Further, it also avoids lowering the congestion window of the TCP sender, and maintaining the high end-to-end data ow."

Does that mean that the AP now needs to allow up to a full window of buffering for each TCP flow it fakeACKs?

I have a hunch that the _real_ solution would lie in making the 802.11 MAC have less per packet overhead, so that the need for excessive aggregation would go away, because in the end fastACK aims at lying to the endpoints that there is a relative stable link with nicely bound latency and latency variance when in reality the actual link does not show that, but what do I know...
Then again, since the wifi MAC seems unlikely to change this might be as good as it gets...